Followers

Sunday, July 24, 2011

On your Marks.

If I could blog about anything, I'd blog about fashion. What's hot on the runway? How to accessorize your street wear? But considering the greatest fashion dilemma of my day is what pair of stud earrings best match my running shoes, it's wise I blog about running.

So here I am, over in Italy, avoiding wine and avoiding cheese, and this old man walks up to me "Bonjourno, MacLean!" said in the most brilliant Italian accent. "How is my lovely lady today? You are from Canada! Do you play hockey?..."

The Italian man is a meet director for two top Italian track meets. He's hired me, through the help of my amazing coach and his agent, to set the pace for the women's 800m. As the pacemaker, I'm to get to the front of the pack ASAP and set the pace for the 12 girls running behind me, all who are hoping to run one of the fastest times in the world this year.

My goal is to run through 400m in 57.5 and then if I can, keep going until I fall off pace.

On race day, I'm feeling terrified. I was fresh off the plane from Canada and when the gun went off, I flew off the line, loaded with adrenaline and ran a personal best time through 200m (i.e. not according to plan). I run to 350m, start falling off pace and step off the track before I get to 400m.

So Rewind to the top of my blog, the day after the meet, I run into the race director, he gives me a huge hug, calls me lovely and asks me if I'm ready to run better in the race tomorrow. WHAT?!?! I totally EFF'ed up and he wants me to pace again! The only thing I'm thinking is Thank-God I was so friendly to this man when I first met him.

So there it is: My fashion advice for the day - Stay Friendly, World Wide Web. It looks good on everyone ~

The next day I pace again, I pace the girls through 500m, 5 girls break 2min and everyone PB's. Huge Success.

Although avoiding wine, cheese and too much sunshine has never been the plan for my first trip to Italy - didn't I just perform the most amazing job in the world. Being flown to Italy and put up in an all inclusive hotel for 5 nights to pace world class runners in my favourite track event. The only thing better would be to be paid to actually finish the race!

Next time.

Ciao :)

4 comments:

  1. congrats! glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanna, Sounds like you don't want to come back and work in the "Bunker".
    Proud of you - keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So let me get this straight. An old man walks up to you and says "How is my lovely lady today? You are from Canada! Do you play hockey?"

    You shoulda' punched him in the nose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we want more!!!

    natalia

    ReplyDelete